There’s a saying: One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
In other words, what’s rubbish to one person may be valuable to somebody else. For instance, your grandma’s tea-pot collection might not mean much to you, but to her, it’s very precious – it’s her treasured possession!
What do you think?
How much (maximum) do you think you would pay for the following items? Okay…so it’s a bit of a weird list, but you’ll find out why later…
- A car
- A pair of shoes
- A dress
- A superhero suit
- A single glove
- One fake nail
- A pair of…ahem…underpants
All of the items listed above have something in common…they were all sold at auction for LARGE sums of money…
- The car was none other than the Aston Martin DB5 which was driven by Sean Connery in the James Bond Classic, Goldfinger. It sold for approximately 6.41million dollars at auction in 2010.
- The shoes were the famous Ruby Slippers that took Dorothy home in Classic film, The Wizard of Oz and they fetched a dazzling $666,000!
- The dress was worn by none other than Marilyn Monroe, when she famously sang Happy Birthday to the President. It sold for 1.26 million dollars!
- The iconic red and blue superhero suit was worn by the late Christopher Reeve in the 1978 Superman Movie. It sold for a cosmic $115,000.
- Remember Michael Jackson’s rhinestone encrusted glove? It sold for the startling sum of $420,000! And it didn’t even come as part of a pair!
- This one is really creepy…Allegedly, the fake nail belonged to Lady Gaga and it pinged off and flew into the audience during one of her shows. It was snapped up for $12,000 dollars!
- And the underpants….well they were actually silk bloomers thought to have belonged to Queen Victoria. They fetched $15,000.
The ordinary value of these items was altered – why? Because they were all linked to famous people or movies.
It seems, if someone REALLY wants something, they will pay over and above the ‘normal’ price!
The value of something is determined by the price someone is willing to pay for it.
God’s Treasured Possession!
The Lord Your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be His people, His treasured possession – Deuteronomy 7:6
God has a treasured possession! It’s you and me! The bible says that before time even began, God had already set His heart on us. But the truth is, we came at an incredibly high price.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
1 Peter 1:18-19
Knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.
The Most Costly Purchase in History
What did it cost God to make us His children?
God had to pay the highest price you could ever imagine. God paid for us with the precious blood of His only Son, Jesus Christ!
As you read the following scriptures, consider for a moment the enormous price that Jesus Christ paid for you and I to become a child of God:
For while we were still helpless, at the right time, Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for a good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us – Romans 5: 6-8
For Christ also suffered once, for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that He might bring us to God – 1 Peter 3: 18
But He was wounded for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and by His stripes, we are healed. – Isaiah 53:5
Jesus Christ, who NEVER sinned, willingly laid down His life, to pay the price for our redemption. That’s how valuable we are to God. We are His treasured possession!
If the value of something is determined by the price someone is willing to pay for it – then think how valuable you must be to God! Why don’t you thank Him for His great love today?