- Wisdom is a bit like precious treasure – in fact it’s more valuable than silver, or gold or costly jewels.
- Wisdom is not found in a place, or a set of ideas – it’s actually found in a person, Jesus Christ!
Be A Wise Builder
Growing up and progressing through life, is a little bit like building a house.
By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established, and by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches – Proverbs 24:3-5
All of our actions and the choices we make throughout our lives are a bit like the bricks that build up our house.
Over our lifetimes, we make countless choices.
Some of them can seem pretty insignificant:
- Cocoa Pops or cornflakes?
- Play football or watch TV?
- Red top or blue?
Some of the choices we make, however, have more of an impact on our lives:
- Which subjects shall I study?
- Who should I hang out with?
- What are my priorities – what should I give my time and energy to?
- What should I look at/listen to/watch on tv?
So how can we make sure we are building wisely?
The very first thing you need to do when you build a house, is to lay a foundation. The foundations of a house cannot be seen – they are hidden beneath the ground. But if they weren’t there, you’d soon know about it! Any house that is not built on a firm foundation is in danger of collapse.
A Firm Foundation
To build wisely, we need to start with a firm foundation. We need to begin well. The bible tells us that wisdom has a starting place.
Look It Up!
The answer can be found in Psalm 111:10. Read the scripture and fill in the blanks:
___________________________________________ is the beginning of wisdom.
What Do You Think?
- Hang on a minute? Are we supposed to be afraid of God? Is He really angry and scary? Isn’t He supposed to be a God of Love?
- What do you think it means to fear the Lord?
Fearing the Lord is about having the right view of Him. It’s about realising how awesome and mighty He is. It’s about acknowledging that His ways are so much higher than ours. It’s about accepting that what He says is TRUTH even if we don’t understand it, and allowing Him to be the boss of our lives. It’s about giving God the highest place in our lives.
Get this foundation in place, and you will be well on the way to becoming wise!
There are so many blessings promised to those who fear the Lord – Look up the following scriptures.
Why don’t you jot down in a notebook some of the blessings that are promised to those who fear the Lord:
- Psalm 25:14
- Psalm 34: 7
- Proverbs 14: 26-27